Process Reengineering: Content Management and Reuse
i3 provided the project leadership for an initiative to reengineer all of the processes associated with development and delivery of the tremendous volume of documentation and training produced by Avaya’s Global Learning Solutions Division. The primary objective of this initiative was to develop tools, templates, processes, and technology that support the reuse of information objects (RIOs) and learning objects (RLOs). This involved the following:
- Defining the size and components of RIOs and RLOs.
- Identifying all output formats, including but not limited to web-based training, instructor led training, video, online help, print, and others.
- Developing new content models and templates based on Information Mapping.
- Planning for the conversion of legacy materials.
- Benchmarking best-in-class strategies.
- Identifying, developing, and implementing technology to support the authoring, production, and delivery of the RIOs/RLOs. This involved extensive work with XML, SGML, content management systems, and diverse authoring and multimedia tools.
- Developing supporting documentation, including a Content Development Guide and Style Guide.
- Developing a website containing all of the new tools and reference materials for use by all Global Learning Solutions content developers.
Our collaborative work on this project was so successful and well-received, that we continued to support Avaya with the development of myriad technical and sales-related documentation and training materials. Below are samples of some of them.
Representative Documentation Projects for Avaya:
- Designed the format and templates for Sales Solutions Guides. Developed Solutions Sales Guides and FAQ Sheets for Avaya integrations, including Interaction Center, Universal Queuing, Conversant IVR, Predictive Dialing System, Virtual Private Networking, and others.
- Developed technical documentation supporting a multi-channel CRM telephony system.
- Developed technical documentation for installation of eContact multimedia contact software—integrating email, voice, web, VoIP in one solution.
Representative Training Projects for Avaya:
- Designed, developed, and piloted a four-day instructor-led application installation and configuration course for internal and external audiences.
- Coordinated the work of a cross-functional team that developed a Training Needs Analysis in support of a Sales and Technical Pre-sales force for a joint Siebel CRM Application.
- Developed sales training for several products in Avaya’s CRM Solutions portfolio.